About the Journal
Focus and Scope
Interview subjects will be published authors, editors or translators of literary works, defined broadly. Interviews should be primarily concerned with the interview subject as writer, including the craft of writing, the writing life, the author's works etc.
* There is no specific restriction on genre.
* There is no restriction on nationality or the language in which an author writes.
* Interviews will only be published in English, though translations into English will be considered.
* The interviewer must demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the author and his/her work and provide an introduction, as well as explanatory notes if necessary.
* The interviewer must undertake to clear the final interview text with the interviewee.
* Interviewers should ideally make their own point of view and the circumstances in which the interview is conducted explicit. The approximate date of the interview should be included.
* Interviews should be at least 2000 words.
* Wherever possible, photographs of the interviewee should be included, and other relevant illustrations will also be considered.
* Readily available interviews will not be republished. However, proposals to republish interviews that are difficult to access in their original form (in obscure print sources for example) are invited. The onus of clearing copyright etc. rests on the person making the proposal, and they should provide an introduction and explanation of the significance of the interview.
Peer Review Process
The interviews are reviewed by the editors, but are not peer reviewed.
Writers in Conversation appears in February and August each year.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. The content is available under a Creative Commons Attribution CC-BY-4.0 licence.
Writers in Conversation was founded in 2013 by Gillian Dooley of Flinders University and Nick Turner of University of Central Lancashire, in order to provide a dedicated journal for publication of in-depth, well-researched interviews with writers. The first issue was published in February 2014.